Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Just another morning on the road

Monday, August 26 - I wanted to get a run in this morning, so I got up early to get a run in before
breakfast was served at 8:30am.  Jim and Margaret actually recommended that I run ON the Blue Ridge Parkway, which you could hop on to on foot less than a mile from their house.  "Really?" we asked.  They said that there would be significantly less traffic on the parkway at 7am on a Monday than on any of the county roads around their house. I might not even see one car at that time.  So, I took their advice, and did about 6 miles on the parkway.  The were right -- traffic was very light: only 17 cars in about 40 minutes.

After a great, home-cooked country breakfast, I took a shower, we packed up, and then wanted to utilize their wifi, since we've had the notorious "No Service" indicator on our
AT&T phones for most of the drive along the BRP.  We also had a few postcards to write.  So, Sandy and I sat on their porch looking at the Blue Ridge Mountains in the morning sun to write some postcards.  As I grabbed my bag of postcards, they slipped out of my hands, and several fell... right through the cracks of the deck!  C'mon.... that really happened?  Sandy and I looked at each other and burst out laughing.  And there didn't seem to be any way to get them, since there is latticework around the front of the porch to the ground.  Jim came out and we told him what happened.  He was so nice and offered to put on some different clothes and climb under the porch from an entrance at the end.  No, no, I said.  But I'm happy to do it...   So, here I am climbing under our hosts' porch to save a few postcards, as well as 2 promotional cards from the national parks for free photo books -- worth the crawl on hands and knees in the dirt!




No comments:

Post a Comment